Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.


November 8, 2007

"I have hidden Your Word in my heart so that I might not sin against You."


I agree. Thank you for not letting me rob myself of the joy that blogging can be when used for all the right reasons and when all the right motives are applied. I think I shall keep "name that verse" for those of us who are trying to follow the teaching of : "I have hidden your Word in my heart so that I might not sin against you." That happens to be one of my all time favorites. It brings my mind back to when I was in Africa. We were asked for Bibles that we did not have to hand out when we were planting churches in Malawi. I remember an African who had made a decision for Christ asking how about he was going to study the Bible if he didn't have one. We were to tell them to go to the existing church in the area and there they would get discipleship. I had heard someone else tell some people to memorize a new verse from the Bibles that were at the church. I told him when he goes to write down one and memorize it for the week. He had a pen and paper in his hand and could read and write English. I told him of this such verse and wrote it down for him. It was beautiful to watch God's Word come to life before my eyes. God is so good.



It also brings to mind "abide in Me and I shall abide in you." It is the living Word of God that empowers us to live the kind of life that we have been called to live. I love Scripture. I love how it works. I love that it is what we use to defeat the devils attempts to tempt us. I love that certain Scriptures remind me of great lessons that the Lord has taught me and how I have grown through His Word and His teachings.



Over these next few blogs or more we will look into some of my favorite Scriptures and see how they've impacted my life and maybe yours. We will also learn where to find our Scriptures, how to find them and hopefully write them on our hearts and apply them to our lives.



Do we capitalize the word "word" when it refers to His "word?" I kind of feel like it needs to be. I feel God's Word should be revered and I happen to like capitalizing it. I wish there was a grammar check to go along with the spelling checks.



"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."





I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say

Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness 
Word of God speak

I'm finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear Your voice

Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness 
Word of God speak

Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness 
Word of God speak


I'm finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it's okay

I am rather looking forward to playing name that verse. I enjoy God's Word.




4 comments:

GUNNY said...

Psalm 119:11, an answer to the question asked by David in Ps 119:9. We just covered that action in a discipleship group I'm leading with some fine young men.

Good slooge.

I'm a capitalizer, whether it be "His" or "Word" of "Him," but I sometimes forget with "You," so it's easy for small brains, like mine, to be confused.

Interestingly enough, however, protocol is to capitalize "Bible," but not "biblical" (i.e., noun, yes; adjective, no). I'm not sure why, but it is.

Of course, there's no hard & fast rule. The actual Greek does not make a distinction with the personal pronouns, but I find it another way for me to show reverence, so I do it in pretty much all but academic (secular) writing.

not used anymore. said...

Gunmeister,

Isn't it good to be in love with the Lord and honored to show Him honor? I already know that answer to that one. Thank you for your interest in my blogs, Gunny, I am confident that you will be quite good at this "name that verse game." Does the ending punctuation come before or after the quotation marks, parenthesis, etc. or not? Where's that grammar, punctuation check when you need one?
GWT

GUNNY said...

The punctuation question is a good one.

The comma & period go inside the quotation marks, but the question mark and semi-colon go outside.

How silly is that?

not used anymore. said...

I was curious because I saw your ")." --Now that's too hard to understand... On your commment I saw that you had the parenthesis before the period and I always wondered about the quotation marks issue. These are the kinds of things that I ponder upon when I am writing, which I actually do like to do and used to do more frequently. Anyway, how do find out such info? Classes I guess? Anyway, I'm not sure my brain is working right after the big 700 in 29.
LOVE.