Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.


November 29, 2007

Happy Birthday Jesus.

Yesterday I was on the phone talking to my dear friend whom I don't see enough of. She sometimes teaches my children in church. Well, on Sunday she taught my youngest. My friend, we'll call her Kirstin, was I guess leading class and asking them what Christmas was about. She said most of the class said Santa and presents. Not my little girl. She said I would have been proud. My little girl said "it's Jesus' birthday." Proud I am. That might not seem like too big of a deal but... When my eldest daughter, who is in public school, told me at school they read a story called "The Night Before Christmas" it was a real big deal to me. I asked her what the story was about and she said "Santa and presents." I said "did it talk about Jesus"? She said "no." I said "nowhere at all in the story did it talk about Jesus"? Again my daughter said "no."
I have sort of a weird style of parenting. Telling your kids at a very early age that Santa isn't real and that he's just a distraction to pull peoples focus away from Christ may be a little weird when they are all preschool age. I told my kids early on that Santa was a sham. I wasn't so sure that was the best route to go, but I was sure I couldn't tell them otherwise. I just can't see putting any more obstacles in their path to a Christ filled life. I was blessed and reassured that I am making choices that honor the Lord when I heard of my child's answer.
Christmas is Jesus' birthday. It is the day that God put on skin and came down to our level. He came to fulfill His own law on our behalf. Santa is a joke in my book.



I suggest the movie the Nativity Story this "Christmas." I also suggest reading the Gospel of Luke first. I bawled during the movie when Jesus was born. So powerful. I saw the Scripture come to life.

The Gospel of John is currently on sale at Family Christian Store, $5.00! I recommend that as well.

Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would one day walk on water?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy would save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has come to make you new?
This Child that you delivered will soon deliver you.
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will give sight to a blind man?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will calm the storm with His hand?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy has walked where angels trod?
When you kiss your little Baby you kissed the face of God?
Mary did you know.. Ooo Ooo Ooo
The blind will see.
The deaf will hear.
The dead will live again.
The lame will leap.
The dumb will speak
The praises of The Lamb.
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary, did you know
that your Baby Boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know
that your Baby Boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
The sleeping Child you're holding is the Great, I Am.

4 comments:

Lill said...

I did the same, my daughter knew that the "santa" stuff was not real. I did tell her about St. Nicholas and what he did but that no, he is not alive and going from home to home dropping off gifts. I also did not teach the Easter bunny or tooth fairies and so on down the line. I agree with you in the fact that the world is trying to draw people away from Jesus. I wonder if people know the Bunny is Pagan??? (the one they use for Easter)....hm.

I am with you 100% with that. My daughter is very much the same in that she lets people know when they ask her how many presents she received she tells them that she did get presents but not alot because Christmas is about Jesus and not about us...Amen....You go girl, I support you.

not used anymore. said...

Thanks, Lill.

Anonymous said...

I agree with both of you, and God bless you!

I think Katelyn was in Kindergarten when she asked me if there really was a Santa, and I had to tell her the truth. Same for the other distractors, although we did play the tooth fairy game when I could remember and/or stay awake long enough.

Fifteen years later I still sometimes have doubts about whether I robbed her of something special. But, I wouldn't trade the faith and convictions she possesses for anything.

<>< Brenda

not used anymore. said...

I know what you mean about wondering if you've "robbed" them of something. I think to us as kids we remember it being special, but for our kids to grow up knowing who Christmas is all about and how life impacting that is... well, I wouldn't call that robbing and I'd say that is what is "special." You've done a great job with her. I don't even know her, but her love for the Lord that I do know.