Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.


April 13, 2008

"It takes a lot of courage to say what you said"

Well, I finally said something. I couldn't stand it any longer. I just told them I was uncomfortable with "him" being dressed like that. The father said "well, that's the way he feels most comfortable." (weird response) I said that I felt that it was inappropriate for a child his age to be outside like that. [this is where his mother turns around and gives me two looks at once: 1. I'm crazy, out of my mind 2. who do I think I am -ooh if she could just give me a piece of her mind.] The father then told "him" to go inside and put some shorts on and told me that he would make sure he had some shorts on. I said thank you.

Ten to fifteen minutes later the dad came back and said he had been thinking about what I had said ... he said that kids nowadays (not a real word, I'm sure) wear almost less than that at the swimming pools. It's not like he was in the front yard and he is in the back yard in the security or privacy (i'm not sure which he said) of their back yard. He said that's how he is inside the house and sometimes he may come outside like that and he may not catch him. - in a nice way of saying we don't think you should tell us what our kids can and can't wear and we will let him to continue to do so.

I further explained that I was uncomfortable for my kids to be around a child wearing so little and that my kids wouldn't feel comfortable wearing so little in front of them. I expressed that I am very uncomfortable for my girls to be exposed to a boy wearing so little and being around them. I did not want my girls to become comfortable in a situation where people are not wearing clothes. (hence an inappropriate situation where Lauren doesn't realize that the situation is inappropriate because she has always been around older boys in their underwear and it seemed okay) That is my number one red flag issue.

I think as a father he can respect that. I think as one who has a daughter he can understand. I think the mother probably will not be so understanding about our little chat. But what's most important what my neighbor thinks or what my children set their standards to?

I was uncomfortable in having the conversation and I hope it doesn't cause too many problems. I could not remain silent any longer.

No comments: